- as long as you are not hassling/talking too much at/oogling the librarians or making a mess, do not worry about the needs of the librarians!! library staff should never ever make patronage feel like a hassle unless they are…being actually rude or not following code of conduct. if you DO want to make life easier for library staff, always remember what they tell you and do what they say and learn to use the system as much as you can yourself (to whatever degree that is) so you don’t rely on them. also read the code of conduct so you know. but the MOST IMPORTANT THING about public libraries is your use of the space and you shouldn’t have to feel guilty about just being there.
- yeah i’ll say it again, the most important thing about public libraries is that they are public space where people can be.
- that being said, it is good to think about the needs of other patrons. does your use of study rooms hog the study rooms for other people? how busy/well-furnished is your library? that’s the only thing that I think is really important
- honestly “i want to sit quietly in the library all day” is the ideal patron, it really is
- don’t talk on your phone
- clean up after yourself
- don’t try to do library staff’s work for them, that’s annoying
- don’t flirt with anybody either i mean i’m not saying you would but don’t. there’s no flirting in libraries.
- please no weed in library either :(
- pack up before the absolute last minute, i guess that’s one thing i can say for sure with much experience would make the lives of staff much better
- never be that person who reaches across the desk to put your own card under the barcode scanner. they are the UNIVERSAL MOST HATED.
- a lot of library staff are actually underpaid bitter jerks who don’t like helping people because they hate their lives and they hate poor people. this is the truest thing. if they are rude to you or seem annoyed with you it’s not always gonna be your fault.
is this helpful at all? just think about making sure you’re not hogging resources for other patrons if those resources are scarce (maybe like, power outlets, for example), do not make space hard to navigate for others (like stretching your cord across aisles and shit)
basically public transit rules tbh
but you have a right to be there and it EXISTS so you can be there and not feel bad about it
Ex-librarian here and I concur with all points.
In my experience the best patrons were the one who were the most worried about simply existing in the library. Please! They are for existing in. Please enjoy sitting quietly, looking at the local history exhibits or art or fish or whatever your library has on display, looking through books, letting the staff shelve your materials, etc.
Clementine von Radics (via clementinevonradics)
Salome dances her dance of the seven veils,
The men all eye her like wolves on the hunt, this beautiful girl
finally undressing for them. Finally they can see her
exactly as they want to.
The first veil drops.
In 2007, Kim Kardashian’s ex-boyfriend
released their sex tape against her will.
Kim Kardashian, rather than hide in shame
Used the publicity to promote her own career.
Salome moves like a dream half-remembered.
Salome dances like a siren song. All the men ache
to see the hot sugar of her hip bones.
The second veil drops.
In 2014, Kim Kardashian walks down the aisle
As the whole world watches. If only all of us
were so successful in our revenge.
If only all of us stood in our Louboutin heels
on the backs of the men who betray us,
surveying the world we created for ourselves.
The third veil drops.
Kim Kardashian knows exactly what you think of her.
She presses the cloth tighter against her skin
Her smile is a promise she never intends to keep
We can almost see all of her.
Salome shows us her body
but never her eyes.
The fourth veil is dropping.
The four things most recently tweeted at Kim Kardashian were
@KimKardashian Suck My Dick
@Kim Kardashian Can I Meet Kanye?
@KimKardashian Please Fuck Me
@KimKardashian I Love You. I Love You.
Women are told to keep their legs shut.
Women are told to keep their mouths shut.
Some women are kept silent for so long,
They become experts in the silent theft of power.
The fifth veil has dropped.
Kim Kardashian made $12 million dollars this year
Yesterday, uncountable men in their miserable jobs,
told their miserable friends that Kim was a “dumb whore”
Kim Kardashian will never learn their names.
The sixth veil has dropped.
The seventh veil has dropped.
And Salome sat beside King Herod. And he swore unto her
“Whatsoever thou shalt ask of me, I will give to thee
unto the half of my kingdom”
And she smiled, and said
“Bring me the head of John The Baptist.
Punish the man who hurt me”
Fish Stick Report, Fish and Wildlife Service, Department of the Interior, 1957
SuDoc Call No: I 49.8/2:1957
Early data visualizations of fish stick statistics. Fishsticktistics?
Submitted by Marie Concannon via CGray
so this is a thing that was.
Every govdoc should be replaced with the Fish Stick Report.
The Invention of Fish Sticks is one of my favorite History of Random Science stories. If you have academic access, look up this paper:
The Ocean’s Hot Dog: The Development of the Fish Stick
I love you Bob